Do you want your kids to have more self-control?
Do you want them to be able to sit through a 5 second YouTube ad without freaking out?
Do you want them to grow up being able to put off immediate satisfaction in order to achieve long term goals?
Here's 5 ways (and a bonus) you can help cultivate self control in your kids now and for the future:
1. Distraction strategies to help with distress. When your kid is super upset they have to sit through a 5 second YouTube ad while watching Blippi you can distract with a toy or song.
2. Attachment experiences: sensitive to needs, provide support and also encourage autonomy odds will be better than those you overcontrol children.
3. Consequences - teaching and experiencing consequences for their choices.
4. Work with on enjoyable but challenging tasks that become increasingly difficult; piano, legos, climbing, etc. The real challenge for you is to provide support but also let them work on own.
5. Growth mindset.
6. Keep your word – when promise delayed rewards give it to them. As well as consequences.
Focus on one today and little by little you can grow both your self control and your kids'.